Thursday, February 14, 2013

CCKO 2013 - result = 17/20

Weekend of January 19/20 I participated in the Capitol City Kick Off.  I brought a dwarf list because of the fabled "fuck you" dice (the symbol on the dice was actually in place of the "1" pip and was a hand flipping you the bird!) and my fears of a wood elf team being undone by 1's.  However it turned out this year that the dice maker had screwed up and the symbol was on the "6" pip.  I immediately thought I should go with the woodies roster but had been thinking about the dwarves a lot so I chose not to.  BIG MISTAKE!

This tournament was really frustrating for me.  With the amount to spend I chose to bring the deathroller just because 4 rerolls felt like overkill and I was concerned other rosters could have more "oomph" on the pitch than me.  The deathroller failed spectacularly in 4/5 games, and while taking nothing away from my opponents who all played in the range of "decent" to "very well", I could not even keep track of the number of block turnovers I suffered.  Almost all but one or two single die blocks were skulls, and I think I averaged 2 double skulls a game across the 5 games.  Perhaps it was karma for all the great luck I had when I won the Warpstone Cup - first tournament I brought these guys to.  Which sucks, but I'll still take the tournament win at this cost - lol ;)

Game 1 vs. Matt (Humans) 1-1 draw
dwarves vs. humans
This was the only match where my deathroller was good.  Had a nice stompy first half drive that went perfectly.  My big mistake was the angling of a blitz on his ball carrying catcher when he tried to switch sides.  I went from the side where if I did get a push, he would be away from my player with tackle so I actually chose not to throw the hit, then he just dodged away without needing a reroll anyways.  GRRRR

Game 2 vs. Joe (Chaos Pact) 2-1 loss
Lost the deathroller on turn 1 to an Ogre with Claw. (7 with mighty blow to break armour, and 8 to KO, losing it for the game.  Only piece on the dwarf list to not have Thick Skull ARRGGH).  If I remember correctly I had to pull some major BS to score my one touchdown.

Game 3 vs. Mike (Dark Elves) 1-1 draw
Sorry no photo for this game.  Pretty back and forth but all I can really remember is his damn assassin kept stabbing my dwarves successfully.  What the hell!

After game three, we held a skills draft.  I was less prepared for this than I was in previous years, and I think the biggest mistake was taking a +ST boost, which I gave to my runner.  It rarely influenced the game enough - probably taking guard would have been better.
the hobble crew @ skills draft
Game 4 vs. Colin (Orcs) 1-1 draw
Yeesh no photo for this game either - what gives Alex? This match was a total shoving contest.  Oh and Colin fouled the crap out of me with his sneaky git - never getting kicked out (to be fair he never managed more than a stun, but still!)

Game 5 vs. Alex (Norse) 2-1 loss
dwarves vs norse
Bit of a heartbreak this, Alex scored the winning touchdown without even using his reroll in turn 16 :( I don't remember really getting a good level of attrition at all either vs. his AV7.
apparently alexs games is the only one that mattered day two!
Sorry for the delayed post - always tougher when you have a rough time of it!

3 comments:

Axtklinge said...

Oh well...
I suppose you can't win them all bro!
However, I bet your dwarfs where the shiniest pieces in there (painting wise)!
;)

Out of curiosity, do you know if theres any place where we can see 'stats' from the touurnament?
(Like how many players, and which races played, etc).

Tristan M said...

If you click the link at the top of the post, it will take you to the NAF thread. On page three there is the final results and I think it lists races.

There were 20 players.

Axtklinge said...

Yes it does!
Thanks buddy.

"(...)here is a breakdown of the races played this weekend: Dwarf x3, Dark Elf x3, Skaven x2, Amazons x2, Orc x2, Wood Elf, Undead, Chaos, Humans, Chaos Pact, Norse, Necro, High Elf"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...